At Fredericton Oral Surgery we are pleased to offer Local, IV sedation and General anaesthetic options, while providing you with exceptional patient comfort and making your safety a priority. An overview of Pre-Operative Instructions is provided on this site, however, you will be given specific instructions prior to surgery with your personal care in mind.
The following pre-operative instructions must be followed very carefully.
Food and Beverages
- It is essential that the stomach be empty at the time of the anesthesia appointment.
- Nothing to eat or drink (including water) for 8 hours prior to your surgery, unless otherwise instructed by our clinical team.
- If you take routine prescribed or herbal medications, please discuss with the doctor prior to your surgery and in this case a sip of water is permitted if required to take prior to surgery.
Transportation and General Care
- If having IV Sedation or General Anaesthetic you must be accompanied by a responsible adult to remain in the office during your procedure, drive you home and remain with you until you have sufficiently recovered. Your escort will be given your post-operative instructions and all necessary prescriptions.
- Patients that undergo IV sedation or general anesthesia are considered legally impaired and must not drive, operate complicated machinery and devices, or make important decisions (such as signing legal documents) during the recovery time (24 hours).
- Arrange for assistance with the care of small children during the recovery period.
- Plan your post-surgical diet.
Clothing / Contact Lenses
- Wear short-sleeved, loose-fitting, comfortable clothing and low-heeled shoes.
- Do not wear jewelry, lipstick or excessive makeup on the day of surgery.
- Remove contact lenses before surgery.
- Refrain from smoking prior to treatment and a period of 4-5 days following treatment.
- If your general health changes (e.g., cold, cough, fever, etc.), contact our office prior to the day of the appointment in order to discuss your readiness for surgery by calling 506-458-8864.
- You are required to confirm your appointment 48 hours in advance.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our office. It is important that you understand the circumstances surrounding this treatment.